MUSCHELMARMAR was discovered in BLEIBERG in 1780 and described as HELMINTOLITH by the famous mineralogist and naturalist Baron Franz Xaver von WULFEN – (after him named the mineral WULFENIT and a rare flower that grows only in the Himalayas and at the Carinthian Nassfeld – the WULFENIA ). WULFEN also called this OPALISING MUSHELMARMOR a ” Carinthian peacock-tailed helminth ” .
Art objects and jewellery were made from this material – a table top was delivered to the Russian Tsar’s court.
Only 3 years after the first discovery, in 1780, the deposit was already exhausted.
The site of discovery was the St. Oswaldistollen in the extensive BLEI und ZINK BERGBAUREVIER of BLEIBERG/KREUTH .
Weight : 600 g. Dimensions : 10 x 9 x 4 cm